Sunday 9 January 2011

Preliminaries...

So I'm in Cambodia. I'm spending 4 weeks volunteering with All Ears Cambodia (a charity supporting deaf and hard of hearing people in Cambodia). After this I'll have another 2 weeks to see the country. The volunteering was arranged by Accounting for International Development (AfID), and I hoping to make use of my accounting knowledge and experience to help build the financial capabilities of All Ears.

Why am I doing this? Well, in part it is to push my own boundaries, cut myself off from all the attachments and comforts of my life in the UK, and to experience new things, places, and people. And of course I was also hoping to be of service to others, to make a difference to those who are in greater need than I.

Just before I left a friend asked me what I hoped to achieve during my trip. My goals were quite modest: to survive and return home, and to be of some use to All Ears. My main concerns about going away were mainly to do with whether I actually knew enough to be of use - and perhaps beggar fatigue which I had experienced quite heavily on a recent trip to Africa..

No comments:

Post a Comment